Grab a Dutch oven this year for your St. Patrick’s Day meal, and cook up some corned beef and cabbage. We got this recipe from our friends over at Camp Chef–it’s easy to make, and pretty darn good to eat. Try it out this March!
What You’ll Need:
- Corned beef brisket – 4 lbs
- Small head of cabbage – 1
- Red potatoes, quartered – 6
- Baby carrots – 1 lb
- Black peppercorns – to taste
- Garlic powder – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Bay leaf – 1
- Place the corned beef inside your 14″ Dutch oven, and sprinkle seasonings on top. Fill with water to cover everything plus one extra inch.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Skim off any residue that floats to the top. After the 20 minutes, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 hours. You’ll know when the meat is done when you can pull it apart with a fork, or when you can insert a fork into the meat freely.
- While the meat is cooking, prep the vegetables by rinsing and chopping. Quarter the potatoes and the head of cabbage. Once the meat is done, add the carrots and potatoes. Because the cabbage will cook faster, add it after the other veggies have cooked for about 10 minutes. Let simmer all together for another 15 minutes. Test the potatoes and carrots with fork; if they are fork tender (it is easy to insert a fork) they are done cooking. Remove pot from heat.
- Remove meat from the Dutch oven and place onto a serving dish. Wrap in foil and let rest for 15 minutes. Leave the vegetables in the Dutch oven to stay warm while the meat rests. Slice the corned beef against the grain for tenderness. Serve with the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, and feel free to spoon juices over the meat and vegetables.